Optimizing Remote Work Device Lifecycle Management
July 13, 2023
For IT managers coping with the transition of end-users to remote and hybrid work, device lifecycle management (DLM) has transformed from handing out laptops in the office to an operationally heavy workflow that involves logistics and asset management at every stage.
From procurement through disposal, having the right device lifecycle management strategy in place can make or break employee productivity and morale. 43% of employees spend two to three hours a week fixing IT issues, or roughly $3,165 of wasted productivity per employee per year. And three in ten employees state they would likely look for a new job due to their workplace's outdated technology.
This makes DLM a major employee experience factor, ultimately protecting your bottom line.
The Complexity of the Entire Lifecycle
Managing the end-to-end device lifecycle—from new device outfitting (onboarding) to asset retrievals (offboarding) to every repair, update, and refresh in between—has complications that have been exacerbated by distributed work. Mainly because IT teams need to be able to manage the following for all their workers, across multiple locations:
• Procurement: Choose the types of devices needed for each department, forecast the minimum inventory levels per item needed, identify your suppliers & resellers, negotiate cost per unit
• Warehousing: Validate your third-party logistics providers (3PLs) of choice, pick strategic warehouse location(s), manage the leases
• Provisioning: Setup required IT infrastructure for the asset
• Shipping & Logistics: Track shipments, manage regulations (e.g., lithium-ion batteries) to avoid delays, inventory management to track availability, deployment, and status
• Ongoing Device Lifecycle Management:
• Onboarding: Have all necessary equipment shipped to the employee before day one, manage add-on requests for peripherals
• Employee Milestones: Troubleshoot break/fixes and replacements for minimal downtime, upgrade old devices
• Offboarding: Retrieve necessary assets from departing workers for cost-saving (and sustainable) reuse
Benefits of Device Lifecycle Management
Improve End-User Experiences to Improve Productivity
Your organization cannot build a dynamic digital workforce without winning the IT employee experience. Frustration with poor equipment onboarding (how many of you reading failed to receive your laptop in time for your first day?), painfully long refreshes (could you cook and finish lunch by the time that surprise upgrade that was pushed during your client Zoom call is completed?), and awfully slow repairs and replacements (ever use your laptop because your corporate loaner took 10 days to come in, putting your company at risk of cybersecurity issues?) contribute to higher turnover and lower employee engagement.
The numbers don’t lie. 80% of new hires who receive poor onboarding plan to quit. Considering it costs a company up to 9 months of an employee’s salary to replace them—for someone making $60k, that comes out to $45k in recruiting and training costs—it is table stakes to get remote work onboarding right.
Proper DLM, including mobile device lifecycle management (MDLM), ensures that workers are always equipped with the hardware and apps they need to function properly.
Supercharge IT With More Time
IT’s talent is not best spent being couriers and acting as a logistics helpdesk for “where is my laptop” questions. IT admins can be true change agents and transform the business. When IT does not have to fight fires around the entire equipment lifecycle, they can focus on improving their products and services.
Thankfully, a lifecycle management solution can make the entire equipment lifecycle a delightful employee experience in a matter of clicks.
Streamline Device Lifecycle Management With Automation
Simply put, Firstbase can do all this for you! We handle legacy fleet integration, vendor management, procurement, replacements and repairs, shipping logistics, device grading and testing, secure data destruction, and even hold inventory in our warehouse facilities.
Customers can initiate complex workflows like returns, replacements, and upgrades at the click of a button, all within the Firstbase platform. Once your dedicated Firstbase admin initiates, the Firstbase team takes care of the physical operations that follow.
• Employee Onboarding Automation: Fully equip your new employees before their start date in just a few clicks with self-service kitting options
• Asset Management Services: Easily handle repairs, replacements, and refreshes with ease, all while tracking your fleet (either Firstbase-supplied or your legacy equipment) end-to-end
• Cost Savings: Automate end-user device retrievals and enjoy a 95+% retrieval rate—no more lost assets eating into your profit margins
• IoT Device Security: Firstbase currently holds an AICPA SOC Type II report and undergoes regular third-party penetration testing, meaning you can have peace of mind knowing that your data is safe with us
• Offloaded Physical Operations: The dedicated Operations team here at Firstbase owns the entire shipping logistics process—not just for initial outfitting but also for retrievals, grading, repairs, and redeployment—processes for you
To learn more, request a demo.