The Remote Work Manifesto – How to Build a Culture & Dominate this Decade
Apr 4, 2020
Remote work is the biggest workplace revolution in history. It's the most important strategic decision companies will make this decade as it will allow them to become more efficient.
The below are not a set of commandments.
It's a starting point that will be improved as remote work grows:
We are uncovering better ways of working remotely by doing it and helping others do it as well.
Through this work we have come to value:
1. 🤝 Trust over surveillance culture
Remote assumes trust rather than expecting people to earn it.
2. 🎮 Control your life over living to work
Remote is about organizing work around your life rather than the other way around.
3. 📅 Flexibility of time over set schedules
Remote gives you the freedom to work when you're most productive to do your best work
4. 🚀 Autonomy in tasks over fixed processes
Remote gives you control over how you complete your tasks. Open objectives give you the autonomy to decide how to do them.
Principles behind the Remote Manifesto
We follow these:
- The highest priority is to improve workers quality of life concerns by addressing their life-work balance
- Encourage the transition from a time-based work culture to one that is judged by measurable output performance
- A deep willingness to share and learn from the best practices of other remote teams
- Office and remote based staff must work together for the future of work to benefit everyone
- Embrace asynchronous working styles over the instantaneous gratification of synchronous working
- Seek diversity of everything. The less homogenous a team is the more capable it will become
- Remote work is the opportunity to do your best work with the fewest distractions
- Great work is the measure of success
- Isolation if a feature, not a bug
- Great written communication and documentation are table stakes for success. The willingness to read then respond thoughtfully critical to your continued success
- Simplicity – the art of maximizing the amount of work not done – is essential
- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly
Develop a Great Experience Easily
We help companies develop a remote work strategy instantly.
Firstbase is an all-in-one provision platform that lets companies supply and manage all the physical equipment remote workers need to do great work at home. We handle everything as a monthly subscription per worker, including delivery, upgrades, maintenance, repairs, and collections when a worker leaves.