Returning to the Office Full-time will Destroy Several Massive Companies
Feb 14, 2020
The office is dead
It used to be a sign that a company had made it. That they could afford an expensive bespoke design which was a destination used to impress prospective clients. The physical space a manifestation of everything the company stood for.
Now it's an unnecessary cost making them uncompetitive. The most innovative, forward-thinking companies on the planet will reduce real-estate footprint in the next 3 years having had the opportunity to gain comfort with remote work during the current situation.
Thinking about going back to the Status Quo?
🏢 Companies who go back to the office full-time will perish
- They will lose their best people to their biggest competitors
- They will only be able to attract the best person in a 30-mile radius around their physical office locations rather than the best person in the world
- They will be far less cost-efficient than remote competitors. Redistributing 1,000 desk jobs remotely saves around $16.4m a year in real estate spend.
🔄 Companies who go back to the office part-time will survive
- They will provide their team with the flexibility to work from the office 2-3 days a week and from home the others.
- They will reduce real estate spend by 50% saving around $8.2m a year in real estate spend per 1,000 workers.
- They will expand the pool in which they can acquire talent from.
Not all remote work is equal
Companies who try to replicate office working styles remotely are destined to fail. Wanting your team to continue operating synchronously because it's what you are used to risks destroying the massive benefits remote work provides.
Offices have lead to mass distraction due to instantaneous gratification. Other people are available all the time which stops everyone have the space they need to do deep focussed work. Remote working is the remedy for this if you trust your team enough to get their work done.
📈 Companies who go remote-first will succeed
- They'll build the most talented and diverse teams incredibly quickly.
- They'll be more cost-efficient due to significantly decreasing their operating costs.
- They'll no longer measure productivity based on how much time people spend sitting at against and transition to measuring how much output workers are producing.
🌎 Companies who go will async-first dominate
- They'll empower their workers with the flexibility they need to organize work around their lives rather than the other way round while producing their lives best work.
- They'll hire from a global pool allowing them to access 100% of talent in the world.
- They'll leverage all the benefits of remote work to dominate their competitors.
I'm ready to go remote-first, how can I do it easily?
We built an all-in-one provisioning platform that lets companies develop a remote work strategy instantly.
We provide all the practical equipment remote workers need at the touch of a button. Firstbase takes care of everything as a monthly subscription per worker, including delivery, upgrades, maintenance, repairs, and collections when a worker leaves. We help you:
- Be more cost-efficient
- Comply with regulation
- Save time on onboarding
- Slash your real-estate costs